Arsenal Have had Great strikers from Ian Wright to Thierry Henry. Watch videos of Strikers of the past present and future. Strikers of Arsenal from Wright to Vela

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Lauren leaves for Pompey


Portsmouth have signed Arsenal full-back Lauren on a two-and-a-half year contract, with Harry Redknapp hailing him a 'great athlete'.

The Cameroon international, who turns 30 on Friday, has joined for an undisclosed fee, ending his six-and-a-half-year stay with the Gunners.

Pompey boss Redknapp told the club's official website: "Lauren is an outstanding player.

"He is a great athlete and professional, very strong and quick, too.

"He will be a tremendous asset to us, is extremely versatile and can play in a number of different positions at the back and in midfield."

Redknapp revealed he was not the only manager interested in a player who won two Premiership titles and three FA Cups at Arsenal.

"I'm delighted he's decided to join Portsmouth above a whole host of clubs that were after him. It shows how far we have come in a short space of time."

Lauren, who will go straight into the squad for Saturday's home game with Charlton, added: "This is a great move for me.

"Portsmouth are having a great season and are pushing for a place in Europe and I aim to be playing my part in that challenge.

"I have been very impressed with the club's plans for the future, both on and off the pitch, and this was why I chose to come to Fratton Park.

"It will also be good to once again team up with [former Arsenal team-mates] Sol Campbell and Kanu."

Lauren also spoke of his sadness to leave the Gunners.

"I have made many great friends and have many wonderful memories from the years I have spent at Arsenal. I have enjoyed great success with the club and I am very grateful to Arsene Wenger, my team-mates and all the fantastic Arsenal fans for their support. The fans have been brilliant," he said.

"Of course I am sad to be leaving Arsenal, but I am very much looking forward to a new challenge at Portsmouth."

Wenger paid tribute to the full-back and said: "Lauren's contribution to Arsenal since he joined the club in 2000 has been absolutely outstanding.

"He has been a central figure in the club winning the Premiership twice and the FA Cup three times and his high level of performances have made sure that he will always have a place in Arsenal history.

"On behalf of the players and staff we wish Lauren the best of luck at Portsmouth."


Wenger Explains Departure:
Arsene Wenger feels he had to allow veteran full-back Lauren to leave in order to continue the development of Emmanuel Eboue and Justin Hoyte.

While accepting his decision was something of a "paradox" given he often suggests the current squad lacks some experience, Wenger felt it served to protect the future of the club.

The Arsenal manager said: "I lost a fantastic player. I would like to pay tribute to him because he was amazing for the club.

"Lauren was not only a player with quality and experience, but also a fantastic guy who was mentally very strong.

"But he was out for nine months. Eboue and Hoyte played.

"Do I stop their development and play Lauren? Or do I let him go somewhere else? I had to make that kind of decision.

"If I played him I would have to lose either Hoyte or Eboue, which I did not want to do."

Wenger maintains his emerging squad have the "ingredients and potential" to consistently challenge for top honours.

He said: "We have the ingredients and potential to become the best team.

"At the moment we are not because we lost at places like Sheffield United, Bolton and Manchester City - even though they are games we could and should have won. But we are getting there."



View Profile: Lauren







No comments: